The renovation of the heating and energy system
in Horenka hospital near Kyiv
This is the village of Horenka, Hostomel community in Bucha district, Kyiv region
From the first day of the war, the village was under constant Russian shelling while neighboring villages were occupied. Some residents managed to flee in the first days of the war, but many survived the most difficult times in the basements of their buildings. The exact number of civilian casualties is still being established
In Horenka, hundreds of houses and almost 80% of the infrastructure were damaged. One damaged building is the local hospital, which provides medical care to people from Horenka and neighboring villages.
Here is a ground-water heat pump that was installed in the hospital
This pump accumulates the heat from the ground using an external circuit and transfers it to the heating system...
This pump accumulates the heat from the ground using an external circuit and transfers it to the heating system.Читати повністю
In Horenka, an external circuit was set up in the backyard: vertical depth probes were lowered into prepared wells 65 meters deep. They are filled with propylene glycol, which circulates in the probes and does not freeze at low temperatures, thus ensuring the heat pump's operation.
This is what the restored boiler house in Horenka looks like
- становлено насос “Грунт-вода”
потужністю 20 кВт
- Збережено старі газові котли, які можуть...
- Installed 20 kW groundwater pump;Читати повністю
- Old gas boilers have been preserved, which can operate in case of emergency and can be replaced with more energy-efficient ones over time.
- Savings on heating - up to 80%
- Payback period - up to 7 years
The groundwater pump type was chosen for the restoration of the Horenka hospital because the soil is quite stable and keeps the temperature for a long time. Such pumps can be easily installed in small boiler rooms.
This is one of the most climate friendly methods of space heating
- Expected electricity consumption from the heat pump during the heating season: 9,000 - 12,000 kWh...
- Expected electricity consumption from the heat pump during the heating season: 9,000 - 12,000 kWh.Читати повністю
- A hybrid solar power plant was installed in the hospital to ensure that the pump operates even during power outages.
A lithium battery powers the pump and hospital equipment and accumulates energy from the solar panels.
- Battery capacity: 8 kWh
Solar panels were installed on the roof of the hospital
Currently, the solar power plant covers 40-60% of the hospital's need
Currently, the solar power plant covers 40-60% of the hospital's needs. Over time, it can be expanded to make the hospital completely energy independent, covering 100% of its consumption. Читати повністю
- The installed capacity of solar panels is 12 kW
- Expected electricity generation from solar panels: 12,000 kWh
- Expected energy savings in case of connection via net metering: 70%.
Building resilience for Ukrainian people: read
green reconstruction of Horenka hospital
If your community has been affected by the Russian invasion and you want to rebuild important social facilities in accordance with energy-efficient principles or get additional information or calculations, please fill out this form.Send Request
If you are a city outside of Ukraine that wants to become a green recovery partner and help Ukraine rebuild, please leave us your contacts.Send Request